Saturday, May 8, 2010

Heretical Rumblings of the Heart


The Christian Church is at a point of uprising and implosion. It is a lovely time to live. The old ways are falling away and and a new faith and church is emerging that is an agent of change. However, we are amidst the shift. It is those that are clinging by their fingernails to the steeple of institution that are being carried away by the march of the disenchanted.

First of all, let's start with the biggie.

The Bible as an Idol
Truly, the Bible is great. It is composed of stories and history and poetry and letters. It is beautiful and wonderful because it is the sacred amongst the banality. And this is what makes it all the more powerful. We each want a place where everything will be explained for us. We want something that we can cling to and say, "this is it." This is exactly what I have to do and then I will be ok. However, life is not like that. There is grey. In our lives we have blemishes. It is our blemishes that makes our pure acts that much more beautiful. This is the tension that we have been given to live in. For those who adamantly purport that the Bible has no mistakes and that it is exactly as God Herself (ha ha!) would have wanted it... why does that matter? It matters because these people have no other method to hear from God. They desperately need something to cling to and say: this is it. I am safe. But the real question is not, am I safe? But do I taste? Do I know? Am I giving food to others? Before we were pregnant with Zion, we clearly heard from God that it was time for us to have kids (now I wonder what God was thinking). At that time I had been wrestling with the idea that Abraham obeyed all of the law before the law existed. How could this be? I wondered. After God spoke I finally understood. The law is encased in the Spirit. It is listening for God's voice and then acting. What of the miracles of the Bible if they do not happen again today? What is the point in believing in something old if you are not looking again for it to be made new? When God told us that we were to have kids there were kind words about us in the revelation and I thought it was because we were going to be the best parents ever. It was not until the past six months that I have realized how human, how angry and impatient I am that is making me and my children better people. It is through the process of fire. Here's a glass to you, St. Joan. Thanks for changing history through the fire in your soul.


No comments: