
Yesterday I was part of a miracle. Rather, I was part of two. One happened in the early morning and the other happened later on.
The “big one” was that I helped deliver a baby. Our friends, Lindsay and Erik Warrington had Hayden Marshall Warrington at 8:25 on February 21st. I acted as a doula and was there to massage, encourage, and aid Lindsay in giving her all until the baby was born. Erik's mom, MJ to those of us who are close to her, was also there and wonderfully helpful. We all took turns helping Lindsay relax and motivating her from 10 pm to 8:25 am.
I am grateful that the Warringtons (MJ & Erik) are so laid back. It was beautiful to see Erik and his mom. You could see the depth of their relationship and their likenesses. Both are pretty calm and easygoing people. I can only imagine what it would feel like to be with Zion and his wife one day when they give birth and remember back to the day he was born. Anyhow, Lindsay did excellent. She breathed slowly and relaxed at the right times. Just when she thought she couldn't go any further an epidural made everything all right and we all got a short nap. Being on the other side of the birth I was amazed at the fragility of the birthing mother and I understood so much more of what happened when I gave birth. The mother's responsibility is to take care of the child and bring the child into the world (no small task) and -for those of us who are there to support the mother- our role is to pray for strength and be strong so that the mother can be weak yet strong for the baby. I still don't fully comprehend it. Now, though,I do understand why it is so important not to talk about drugs until the mom does: emotionally she can be easily swayed in such a difficult situation. For me, it was exhilarating to cater to everything that Lindsay needed and run after it; I felt privileged.
My favorite part of the entire experience was the delivery. I have played it over and over in my head trying to wrap my mind arou
nd it. It seemed impossible that the baby would come out and I remembered in my own delivery how that point in time had felt ethereal; I was so physically present and exerting my body to its maximum in an undiscovered way and yet I was removed, above, reflecting, and inward simultaneously. I wonder if during the delivery there is a temporary hole into a different dimension of the spirit as the child being born is leaving that dimension but hasn't quite left and is partly entered into ours. I remember in my own birth with Zion I felt like I was shouting into a bucket while pushing, and I remember feeling an overwhelming sense of being celebrated. I was surrounded by women (except for KJ) and I felt like the spirit in the room was saying: “Yes! You are most fully woman right now! Yes! We celebrate you!” And at Lindsay's birth it was the same feeling. There it was again... the tear in between dimensions. And then his little head popped out- finally! It was truly a miracle. I do not understand any of it in my heart; but it is known to me.
*****************************************
The other miracle that happened that day is that of our community. We have not been able to see each other a lot lately and things felt distant. That evening, Brooke and Matt and our family met for dinner. Through conversation we were re-committed to one another and closer then ever. We are so unbelievably blessed and thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment